In our current climate, when there’s seemingly a sex crime allegation every day on the news, you might be more apt to write off the validity of these types of accusations. This is the exact reason why you need to take any allegations of a sex crime related offense very seriously. Your first step should be hiring a criminal defense lawyer like the ones at the Ferragut Law Firm.
Accused of a Sex Crime
Whenever a person is charged with a sex-related offense, he or she faces an uphill battle in defending him or herself. Despite the presumption of innocence being one of our nation’s most cherished and longstanding rights, those facing sex-related criminal charges may find that their friends are few and public opinion has turned against them, even before any evidence has been released to the public. These reactions are amplified if the alleged victim is a minor child.
Simply saying that you did not commit the act is not a sufficient defense to these charges. You need an aggressive and experienced defense counsel that can evaluate the government’s evidence and develop a winning strategy to defend your good name. The Ferragut Law Firm has a reputation for successfully defending Arizona citizens charged with serious felony offenses like sex-related crimes. Contact them right away for experienced and zealous legal representation.
Arizona Law for Sexual Offenses
Sexual offenses in Arizona (like similar offenses throughout the country) are severely penalized with long prison sentences. Once released from prison, you can expect to be supervised for a period of time. You may even need to register as a sexual offender for a number of years. This can severely impact your life and livelihood as well as your ability to get a job or continue a career.
Some common sex-related offenses in Arizona include:
- Indecent exposure. This offense requires proof that you exposed your genitals, anus, and/or breasts to another person and that other person could have been alarmed or offended. If the victim of this offense was 15 years of age or over, you are facing a prison sentence. If the victim is younger, this offense is a felony and carries a presumptive prison sentence of one year.
- Public sexual indecency. Public sexual indecency alleges that you committed an act of sexual contact, sexual intercourse or oral sex, or an act of bestiality in the presence of a victim. The “victim” need not be the person upon whom these acts are committed; instead, the victim need only be in your presence when these actions are committed and be alarmed or offended by the act.
- Sexual abuse. Sexual contact with a person over the age of 15 without that person’s consent, or sexual contact with the breast of a victim under the age of 15, is sexual abuse. The presumptive prison sentence for this offense can range from 18 months to 42 months depending on the age of the victim.
- Sexual assault. Sexual assault is sometimes referred to as rape and involves having sexual intercourse or oral sex with another person without that person’s consent. A first offense can be punished by a presumptive sentence of 7 years; additional convictions can raise this presumption to nearly 16 years in prison.
- Sexual Conduct with a Minor and Child Molestation. When an adult engages in sexual conduct with a minor – the adult can be charged with a crime – even if the minor consented. Depending on the nature of the sexual conduct, the penalties can be severe and include prison and/or lifetime probation and registration as a sex-offender.
If you have been accused of sexual misconduct, you’ll want to contact a criminal defense attorney immediately. You need an aggressive and experienced defense counsel that can evaluate the government’s evidence and develop a winning strategy to defend your good name.
Why Work with a Criminal Defense Lawyer?
A criminal defense lawyers jobs are numerous and involve much of the following:
- Work with their client and a prosecutor to negotiate a “deal,” also known as a”plea bargain.” This can often reduce a potential sentence or eliminate some or all of the charges brought against someone.
- Figure out a good sentencing program for his or her clients.
- Help walk clients through the legal system.
- Provide a reality check for clients because they are able to remain objective during all criminal proceedings.
- Educate a client about the legal rules and regulations that he or she faces, including laws and what is considered lawful versus illegal.
- Able to gather evidence and statements from witnesses as well as conduct thorough investigations regarding the reasons behind the charges that have been brought against a client.
Criminal law covers a wide variety of topics, including DUI defense, petty theft, drug crimes, grand theft, and sex crimes just to name a few. If you have been accused of any form of crime, it is always advised that you work with a criminal law attorney like the ones at Ferragut Law Firm.
Because the average person does not have an understanding of the criminal justice process, which comprises a number of complex state and federal laws, it’s always advised that you work with a criminal defense lawyer.
Criminal defense lawyers assist clients as their case moves through the criminal justice process, from pre-trial and through the conclusion of the trial proceedings. In some cases, when a client suspects that they might be charged with a crime a client will make the decision to retain a lawyer before they have even been charged. If you have been involved in a criminal incident and have suspicions that you might need a lawyer, it’s best to hire one as quickly as possible as they will be able to provide you with guidance on how to proceed. The earlier an attorney is involved in a case, the more protection they can offer, and even in times ensure that a suspect does not divulge any potentially incriminating information.
A criminal defense lawyer will also be able to advise a client on if a case can even be brought against their client. In cases where there is insufficient evidence, a lawyer’s main objective will be to have the court drop the charges against a client. There are many avenues of defense that a lawyer can apply, including challenging probable cause, persuading a court to reduce or waive bail, and negotiating a plea bargain to reduce charges to a lesser crime or reduce sentencing.
The role of a criminal defense lawyer will be entirely based on the case that is presented and the type of defense that a client needs. Obtaining the help of a criminal defense lawyer early on in your case can mean the difference between guilty and not guilty.
Ferragut Law Firm Will Defend You
Ferragut Law Firm is a top rated criminal defense law firm based in Phoenix Arizona. We are dedicated exclusively to the practice of criminal law in all state, federal, and city courts throughout the State of Arizona.
Our mission is to achieve the best possible results for our clients through hard work, attention to detail, and aggressive advocacy, while maintaining the highest level of professionalism, integrity, and ethical standards.
We are committed to providing the most aggressive, professional, and effective representation for our clients accused of crimes to ensure that their legal rights are protected and that the best possible results are achieved. Contact us to discuss the details of your case.
One Renaissance Square
2 North Central Avenue, Suite #1125
Phoenix, Arizona 85004